Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: The new clothes press

  1. #21
    Inactive Member dianasmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I saw this in Chicago. While I thought it was pretty on the outside, the inside did not impress me at all. There are 3 pegs going across and they are only about 2-3" deep. They will not hold very much at all, and just the width of the hangers alone will overlap if you try to use all 3, I think.

    Also, with the fabric boxes at the bottom, the dresses will not hang properly, they will be too long and you'll need to remove the boxes.

    It's just not very functional, especially when compared to Josefina's, Addy's, or Kirsten's trunks.

    Laurie

  2. #22
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by dianasmama:
    I saw this in Chicago. While I thought it was pretty on the outside, the inside did not impress me at all. There are 3 pegs going across and they are only about 2-3" deep. They will not hold very much at all, and just the width of the hangers alone will overlap if you try to use all 3, I think....Laurie
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a hard time understanding why AG made it this way. It seems to me that people with Felicity and Elizabeth have much more need for somewhere to put their clothes and accessories rather than a place to store the dolls themselves.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yay, Hostboard is back! First I lost my internet connection and then hostboard too. [img]eek.gif[/img]

    I've been looking longingly at the Clothes Press ever since I missed out on the first one. But it doesn't seem as functional as I hoped. Would it be possible to store the two boxes on top of the clothes press or is the top of the press not deep enough for the boxes?

    And even though it wouldn't be historically accurate, would it be possible to install a short tension rod inside so the clothes could be hung on hangers? Or would the AG hangers not fit because the clothes press width isn't deep enough?

    Tension rods are cheap and can be purchased from Walmart etc. They're only good for light curtains because they're so flimsy but they would do fine for holding small doll clothing. If the tension rod worked, I would be more inclined to buy the clothes press. I'm really disappointed there aren't drawers though.

    Julia

  4. #24
    Inactive Member kamakajr's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey, Julia, nice to see you posting again. I've missed you! I'll try to address your questions regarding the clothes press when I receive it. I should be getting it soon, hopefully by week's end. I know its superficial, but I really like the look of the new clothes press, even if it isn't practical. I think that these are the kinds of pieces that truly make our historical collections unique.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by JuliaAM:
    ...

    And even though it wouldn't be historically accurate, would it be possible to install a short tension rod inside so the clothes could be hung on hangers? Or would the AG hangers not fit because the clothes press width isn't deep enough?

    Tension rods are cheap and can be purchased from Walmart etc. They're only good for light curtains because they're so flimsy but they would do fine for holding small doll clothing. If the tension rod worked, I would be more inclined to buy the clothes press. I'm really disappointed there aren't drawers though.

    Julia
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wondered about adding a rod but people here have said the press is only about 2-3" deep, which sounds too narrow to hold hangers on a rod. If that's the case, AG really missed an opportunity to make a much more functional item by just making it a little deeper and adding a rod, maybe one that could be easily removed for those who wanted to use the piece for doll storage.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by auri:
    ...I wondered about adding a rod but people here have said the press is only about 2-3" deep, which sounds too narrow to hold hangers on a rod. If that's the case, AG really missed an opportunity to make a much more functional item by just making it a little deeper and adding a rod, maybe one that could be easily removed for those who wanted to use the piece for doll storage.[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just read a description of the clothes press. The dimensions say it is 8" deep. So the 2" must mean just the peg is 2". That way you can store both garments and dolls at the same time. The press has to be at least deep enough to hold a doll. I'm leaning more and more in the direction of getting the clothes press just because it is beautiful and I'm fond of wood items.

    Julia

  7. #27
    Inactive Member Dolly6's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does anyone know if it has some clasp/magnet to hold it shut? It didn't look like it did.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was wondering if it would be possible to add little shelves inside?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •